Monday, May 3, 2010

Driving it 'til the tires fall off

No worries, my car is fine. This philosophy has long been one of my frugal/cheap approaches to buying & using things. I like to spend my money on vacations, not on stuff. I can typically get through everyday life using the same items over & over until they are just done and it hasn't created a lot of problems for me.

Until the last few weeks. My laptop DIED. A bunch of my socks developed holes. Both pairs of running shoes have major damage on the inside. My passport expired. The vacuum sucks, er, doesn't suck. A track jacket I've had for three years started giving me a rash. A braclet broke. One pair of jeans started wearing through. Etcetera, etcetera.

When it rains it pours, but my frugal/cheap self is screaming, "I don't care that I use these items daily! It costs so much MONEY to replace all these things! I want to go on a scuba vacation this summer!" But if I want to do that, I'll probably have to get my passport renewed anyway. It's all in the budget & some items can be spread across several months for purchasing, but it's not really what I wanted to spend my money on. I'm still single so I like the freedom to spend my money where I please!

But I have to realize that stuff gets old. Stuff breaks. I can't be controlled by wanting stuff, but I also can't live without stuff unless I want to get leg/foot injuries from bad running shoes, toes sticking out of my socks, & nasty carpet. I don't want those. So I'll replace the stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Just wait until you're a homeowner - seems like we get a month like this every year. Yuck.
    Get a new laptop with a camera so we can Skype!

    ReplyDelete