Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What is Uncomplicated Living?

A few weeks ago the Everyday Minimalist posted an excellent article about the differences between minimalism, frugality, simplicity & green living.
  • Minimalism: live without lots of stuff
  • Frugality: live without paying a lot for your stuff
  • Simplicity: live with the basics
  • Green: live with eco-minded choices
I don't feel the need to define my lifestyle of attempted uncomplication (I feel like I would lose flexibility with committing to one particular definition), so instead I like borrowing aspects of each. Here's what I like about each in no particular order:

Minimalism: Generally I like this approach to possessions and for me, deciding to live with fewer possessions lessens stress & makes moving a lot easier. I have less to clean & less stuff to make me feel guilty for not using.

Green: I can do small things that aid in lessening the environmental impact of my life. I reduce, reuse, & recycle.

Frugality: By nature I'm a saver, so any opportunity I have to save money is good. Sometimes this backfires since I'll choose the cheap option over a more expensive, higher quality option that would not have crapped-out on me as quickly, so I end up buying two things instead of one, but I'm working on rational frugality.

Simple Living: Going back to the basics involves taking a step back and considering what is really important in my life. Instead of simply focusing on my relationship to my possessions, simple living has extending into my eating habits, how I spend my time & how I approach my relationships with other people.

Although these lifestyle trends can provide people with a general direction for certain decisions, I'm still a fan of the 1 Thessalonians 4:11 lifestyle, "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment