Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Zealand Whole Wheat Crisps

Another great recipe from my favorite More With Less cookbook! Unfortunately, the cookbook gave no reasoning why these cookies are attributed to New Zealand. However, they are light, slightly crispy, slightly chewy cookies that are quite easy to make and use no egg so you can feel safe sneaking the batter!

Combine:
1/2 c. melted margarine (I used butter)
1 T. corn syrup
2/3 c. sugar

Add:
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/8 t. salt

1 t. baking soda dissolved in

2 T. water

Mix well. Stir in:
2/3 c. coconut
2/3 c. chopped nuts
(I didn't have any nuts, so I used 3/4 c. coconut and 1/8 c. wheat germ)

Drop by level tablespoonfuls 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.

Notes: I would probably make these smaller next time, since I usually prefer cookies in 2-bite size. I didn't know they would grow so much horizontally, but it makes sense because they don't have any egg in them (which makes cookies grow vertically). I also learned that coconut has a ton of fiber in addition to having many other health benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment