Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Make In The Microwave: Baked Potato Soup

I tried this recipe with low expectations, but it turned out quite tasty! Here's the full recipe at kraftfoods.com. (note: I always adjust these recipes since I'm lactose intolerant)

2 baking potatoes cubed
1 can chicken broth (I used some leftovers of chicken broth I made for chicken verde soup)
1 cup milk (I used soy milk. And vanilla soy milk at that!)

And please note the rooster-shaped napkin holder in the background that once belonged to my great-grandmother Mabel. Great woman & great napkin holder!

Stuff for toppings like:
Chives
Bacon bits

Cheese

Sour Cream

Put cubed potatoes in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring after 2 1/2 minutes. Add broth & milk. Microwave for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. Try mashing up the potatoes with a potato masher (I tried a spoon since I've never had need of a potato masher before) and if they don't mash well, microwave it for 3-5 more minutes until the potatoes mash like you want them to mash. I ended up with some potatoes mashed and some potato chunks.

I was in great doubt of this soup's flavor capacity so I was ready with my arsenal of appropriate spices (and also having been slightly bored during the extensive microwaving of the soup).


For my taste, the soup ended up only needing some cracked pepper & some bacon bits, only because I went to the trouble of finding bacon bits during my monthly grocery shopping. I really don't like bacon bits much; the soup would have been just as delicious, if not more so, without the bacon bits.

Sorry, there are no pictures of the final product since I couldn't get one that actually looked appetizing, but I assure you, I found it to be a tasty recipe, especially for a rainy Monday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment