Monday, April 2, 2012

Mini Minimalist Interview #1: Cassy

Welcome to the first edition of Mini Minimalist Interviews! Featured today is my friend Cassy from Lawrence, KS. Cassy was one of my first friends in public high school after I was homeschooled for five years:
  1. What is your current living situation?
    I currently live in a home with my husband, cat, and dog.  We have a small (1200 sq. foot) three bedroom home.  It's bigger than most apartments I've lived in!

  2. What do you think of when you think of "minimalism"?
    I think "minimalism" means living with what you need and not excess.  For me, I try to live in a clutter free home.  We have a rule that if something hasn't been used in a year, it gets pitched.  This includes clothes, movies, whatever.  It seems like too many people in America live like hoarders, with stuff strewn everywhere.  I personally would like to have less stuff.  

  3. What about daily life can be stressful? What do you like about daily life? 
    In our culture daily life can mean a lot: work, school, activities, hobbies, health, eating, keeping up with relationships, and whatever you want to squeeze in there.  Our lives are complex and rapidly adapting to changes.  This naturally leads to stress.  I work in a hospital critical care setting so some some days I am truly dealing with emergencies back to back.  But for my most part I feel like life is rewarding.  We get out of life what we put in.  If you don't like your current situation, you have the power to change it. 

  4. What are some of your hobbies? Do you collect anything?
    I prefer the term "interests."  I am interested in being healthly - so for me that includes jogging, elliptical training, walking my dog, and eating whole foods.  I have an interest in the arts - indie music, painted art, and anything design-wise thats unique.  I wish I could paint but unfortunately I have not been blessed with that talent so I joyfully observe it.  Lastly I have an interest in my actual job - the science behind how our bodies and specific therapies work.  I have three critical care journals I read.  If I have a specific interest in a topic, I look up what I want to know on a couple of online medical databases I have access to.  

    As far as collections, I honestly hate them.  Collections in my mind equal junk.  If I'm not using something in my house, I want it thrown out.  However, if I'm being totally honest, I do have a "collection" of seasonal decor.  It does get used yearly though so it still fits my lifestyle.

  5. What are some of your most prized possessions?
    I would like to think that if my house was burning down to the ground, I would just want to make sure I grab my pets, my mac (my beloved computer with everything I've ever worked on), and my phone.  Anything else could truly be replaced.  I do, however, love my comfortable temperpedic bed and any comfortable yet fashionable clothing item.  I'm learning I'd rather have a few really awesome items rather than a lot of junk that I don't really care for.

  6. What are one or two things about life you'd like to "minimize"?
    The biggest thing I'd like to minimize in my life is TV.  In the past two years I have watched more TV than I have in my life.  The male gender is particularly fond of sports, which requires a cable package.  Unfortunately this leads to a lot of wasted, unhealthy amount of time sitting in front of a TV.  It's something I keep an open dialogue with my husband about.  

    The second thing I need to minimize is work.  I have an unhealthy edge to the term workaholic.  I like whatever I do to be done well.  Unfortunately in a salaried job that leads to a lot of extra hours spent working on things most would walk away from.  

  7. Any other thoughts?
    Mostly I think Americans as a whole tend to try to cram a lot in their lives.  We want to do everything and own everything.  Not only is it unhealthy, but it's unrealistic.  I also think there is so much value it digitalizing what we do own - magazines, books, movies.  We have an opportunity to not be so wasteful of paper and other products in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment