Monday, April 19, 2010

Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays: Triage


It's Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays #7!

I am beginning to understand how tasks end up on the Ultimate To-Do. We mentally sort tasks by several key factors: desirability of task action, need for end result, and if the task has a definite deadline. Since our time is not unlimited, our minds have to form a triage mentality to see what has to be done immediately versus what can wait. Unfortunately, the more tasks that must be done immediately continue to postpone the ever-growing Ultimate To-Do.

For a practical illustration, I am playing keyboards for church on Sunday. I need to practice the music. However, upon arriving home from work, I discovered the Jack Russell had peed in her crate. That particular event created a string of immediate to-do's that took up the time that could have been spent practicing my music. Although the desirability of the task of bleaching out her crate & giving her a bath was low, the need for a clean crate & dog was highly important & needed to be completed before friends came over for the evening. Thus dealing with the dog situation was accomplished, practicing music was not.

In a way, I tend to resent these immediate tasks since they throw my plans for a loop. They get in my way, take up the time I thought I could devote elsewhere & generally put me in something of a sour mood. But I seriously need to get over that. In reality, I don't own my time. I don't have a claim on doing a specific task at a specific time; I have no right to believe my plans are the way things should go. Hence, the Ultimate To-Do grows, but it keeps me on my toes. :)

And for your viewing pleasure, a sunrise over Twin Sisters in Colorado (elev. 12,000ish)

5 comments:

  1. wow, you totally pin pointed my number one struggle as a mom...immediate surprise tasks!!! They come constantly and fiercely some (most) days, and I DON'T LIKE MY PLANS RUINED! (can you hear the selfishness oozing out all over that??:))
    THANK YOU for the great reminder that "we don't own our time, and have no right to believe my plans are the way things should go."
    Oh, how selfish I am!! Oh to learn that my Creator is the Ultimate time owner and knows exactly the way things should go for me!!
    As always, thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a popular book many years ago titled "The Tyranny of the Urgent". Pretty much sums it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Kristen. Definitely, time is something I feel us singles can get really touchy about REALLY fast. Which is ironic, because we have a lot of it.

    I was just reading about self-discipline/with-holding what we desire is part of learning to be refined by God/people. Letting go of the "desirables" for the "responsibles."

    Still chewing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this happening all the time in my life too. I tend to write to do lists every day and as things happen I write them on too and then cross them off right away as they are already done. That way at least I feel like I have done something productive. When all I do is taking care of the immidiate things I also end up feeling like I got nothing done.
    So well written, thank you.

    ReplyDelete