Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Idea: Use Half?

Of the three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle), recycling is definitely the most popular, but the other two are gaining momentum as people become more aware of simple ways to do them.


For reducing, one blog I read recently advocated trying to use half of your normal amount of consumable household products (sorry I don't have a link). As initial examples, they mentioned hand soap, dish soap, laundry soap, toothpaste, shampoo and household cleaners. That makes sense to me, especially if half the amount will still do an adequate job. So in the last few days, I've been trying to cut the amounts of these products since extending the life of consumables means less trips to the store to buy replacements which means simplification. The hand soap & dish soap went pretty well with half, but I'd probably have to settle for 2/3 with toothpaste and shampoo.


The other items this blog mentioned cutting by half: toilet paper & number of times you flush. Yes, I can see how cutting back toilet paper could make sense in some situations. However for flushing, the little poem on the blog "if it's pee, let it be, if it's brown, flush it down" was just a bit disgusting for me. I support conservation, but I'm not ready for that yet. Someone invented the flushable toilet for a reason.

And for a reusing idea....this pic is from a friend-
(hey, if you can get the cats to go along with the 3R's, you're on to something!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment