Monday, June 28, 2010

Questions To Ponder Over Stuff

This 4th of July, celebrate your independence from stuff! I'm off to TX to visit my 9 month old niece who just happens to be the cutest baby on the face of the earth. During the visit, I will also see my sister & brother-in-law (yeah, they're pretty great too) and help in their project of turning their computer/random stuff room into a play room that just happens to have a computer in it.

I told them several weeks ago I would be putting together a list of questions to start thinking about as they prepare to go through several years of accumulated things to see what can stay and what needs to go or go elsewhere to make room for the playroom. Here's the list so far-

  • Have I used this in the last 6 months? In the last year?
  • Why do I have it?
  • Do I like it?
  • Should it physically be located somewhere else?
  • Does someone else need it more than I do?
  • Do I have a specific, concrete reason or plan for owning this item or is it a "just in case" thing?
Playroom specific-
  • Is it safe for a child to be around?
  • How many Cheerios would fit into any given crevice?
  • Would this make a mess if a child got into it?
  • How easily can this item be cleaned from random bodily fluids?
  • Are child items placed at a good child level?
  • Is this room set up in a way that gives an example about a good attitude toward stuff?
The list of questions is far from comprehensive, but it's a start. Plus, I want to have plenty of time to play with my niece & hang out with my sister & brother-in-law! All that is way better than stuff (or having fun getting rid of someone else's stuff, hehe).

No comments:

Post a Comment