Thursday, April 7, 2011

The 100 Pound Challenge

A few months ago, a friend gave me "The 100 Thing Challenge" by Dave Bruno. This book is arguably the minimalist Bible. For those who haven't read it, Dave decides to live with only 100 personal items for a year and this book shares his experiences living with a lot less stuff. I definitely enjoyed the book and would recommend it. I haven't decided to cut back to 100 items, but it did reinforce my "live with less" mentality.

A few months ago, I was chatting with a friend who was preparing to move to Cambodia to begin culture & language training so she can spend the next 4-5 years working with victims of the sex trade. During the course of the conversation, she mentioned she was having to get rid of a lot of her stuff since she could only take two suitcases, 50 pounds each. It's the 100 Pound Challenge!

Everybody has different reasons for deciding to de-stuff, and most of those reasons are good ones. However, I do have an extra-special respect for my friend who chose to de-stuff so she could move halfway around the world to help people in need on a daily basis.

1 comment:

  1. To play off your last two posts...

    There are some days when I feel like I either have a 100 pound purse, or else I have 100 things IN my purse.

    Time for some spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete