Monday, April 16, 2012

Mini Minimalist Inteview: Laura

Today's Mini Minimalist Interview features my friend Laura from Lawrence, Kansas. I've known Laura as long as I can remember!
  1. What is your current living situation?
    Single, living in my parent's house

  2. What do you think of when you think of "minimalism"?
    Reducing the amount of items (physical possessions or events or activities) in at least one area of your life.

  3. What about daily life can be stressful? What do you like about daily life?
    Meeting deadlines because I failed to plan ahead enough, or leave on time. I like how flexible and different my schedule is each day.  I have a different class schedule each day, some days I get to sleep in, take a nap in the afternoon, or lately I have been able to spend the day outside when it is nice (rather than having to be inside an office building all day).

  4. What are some of your hobbies? Do you collect anything?
    My biggest hobby is traveling. My flexible schedule allows me to take long weekends trips to visit friends and family around the country.  I get to travel more extensively and internationally during my long summer breaks.

    I would say that Facebook is another one of my hobbies.  If I am on my computer (which is very often) I will almost always have Facebook pulled up.  I like being up to date on what is going on in my friends' lives.

    I don't think I collect anything....I used to collect a lot of cow stuff and interesting looking glass bottles but those both resulted in me having so many little things around my room that I stopped that years ago :)

  5. What are some of your most prized possessions?
    I love the pictures that I have on my computer and in hard copy. I also love to have hard copies of books that I really like.

  6. What are one or two things about life you'd like to "minimize"?
    I should minimize my Tshirt collection. I have multiple drawers of Tshirts, most of which I collected throughout high school and college.  I do not wear a ton of Tshirts anymore but every time I go to clean out the drawers, each shirt is associated with an event or memory and I can't make myself give it away.

  7. Any other thoughts?
    Over the last three years I have been successful in consciously minimizing one area of my life - my activities.  I am proud that I have learned how to "say no" and not pack an over amount into my weekly schedule.  When I am tempted to fill an open time slot in my week, I try to remember how wonderful it is to have that extra time to do my work or just take a moment to relax.  I hope that I will never go back to being one of those people who choose to fill up their schedule so that they are living in a constantly frazzled state of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment