Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tortilla Soup

From "The Ghost & Mr. Chicken"- (picture awkward guy talking to bombshell girl...)

Luther: "I just love good food."
Alma: "So do I."
Luther: "Do you?"
Alma: "Uh huh."
Luther: "You know, you & I are a lot alike."
Alma: "Oh?"
Luther: "My mother liked good food. She always used to say, 'I'd rather eat good food than bad food any ol' day of the week.'"

I like good food too. For the weekend family get-together in the DFW area, my siblings & I are each taking a night to cook dinner. Last night, I decided to make one of my favorite meals, tortilla soup & apple crisp. Over twenty years ago, my grandma started the quest to find the perfect tortilla soup & ever since, my family has tried bowl after bowl & recipe after recipe in our search. I found this recipe last fall & have made it several times. It's really pretty good. I don't know if it's the "perfect" recipe, but it's very easy (if you can wield a can opener, you can make it) & quite tasty.

Check out the link for the recipe. I add at least a teaspoon of cumin & a whole can of both corn & hominy since I don't really have a venue for leftovers of those. Last night, we topped ours with cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips, & cheese.




And my brother made some delicious salsa, using (basically) the same recipe I use.



As for the apple crisp, I forgot grandma's recipe at home (SAD! I'll post that one later), and the replacement recipe I found for the topping just wasn't the best ever. Oh well!

Side conversation on the subject of hominy-

My sister- "So what is hominy?"
Me- "I think it's some kind of corn product? But then they do something to it."
My brother consulting his smart phone- "Kernels of corn that have been soaked in a caustic solution as of lye..."
Me- "Lye??? That's probably all I need to know."
My brother- "I guess they also use it in lutefisk, green olives, and pretzels. And look, it can do this to your skin!" (caution, don't open link unless you really want to see what lye can do to your skin, it's NOT pretty!)

I love brothers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment